Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Perseverance

I've been on a journey to find my way, to figure out who I am. I'm fully aware of whose I am, because God has been the head of my life for quite some time. It's just that, on many occasions, I've stood in His way during some of the times when He was trying to bless me with something that was of Him. It was never intentional on my behalf, but I still take full responsibility for allowing my will to take precedence over His. I allowed people in my life to dictate my identity. I let loved ones tell me that I was inadequate. I even let my own father tell me that I was nothing, and that I was destined to fail.

I believed it, because of who he was. That was my daddy. I loved him with all of my heart so, I thought that maybe, just maybe he was right. Then that thought passed, God showed me that even though I was still required to respect him as my father, I could prove him wrong through my actions.

The very year he told me that, I failed my grade in school. I was very disappointed in myself and I also let my mother down. She was there when my dad uttered those words, and she never believed a word of it. At the time, it didn't matter because he encouragement didn't speak as loudly as his discouragement.

That summer, I was enrolled in summer school. I promised myself that I'd do better, and was determined to make sure it was the truth. That summer, I did better than I ever had before. I was an A student, and on top of it all, I made student of the week 5 out of the 6 weeks that I attended classes. The week I missed it, was only by a couple points, but I made up for that by winning another achievement in one of my computer classes?

Why am I telling you this? Because it's a small part of my testimony. Because it is evidence that the way you think, the way you perceive yourself has everything to do with what you achieve in your life. Had I kept believing the words said to my by my father, I'd still be on a path of failure. Instead I reinstated my faith and belief system, knowing that God has great plans for me, and held my head high while keeping my thoughts positive. I constantly told myself that it could be done, and I did it.

I never got angry with my dad for the things he said. Instead, I appreciated them because that moment in my life was when I started to think differently, and it has opened a lot of doors in my life. Had I continued to believe that I was nothing, Don Savant may have never existed.

God's will for you is stronger than anything on this earth.

Never give up on your dreams, no matter what they may be. God Bless

-Don Savant

0 comments: